A year of craftiness...

Last year (2011) I worked on several projects.  As I went back through pictures I was surpassed there were as many as there were!  This isn't even everything... just the things I remembered to take pictures of...

One project, that was started at least TWO years ago, was finally completed early in the year.  Alex chose the fabric (fleece) and we found a simple pattern to make a pullover hoodie with a pocket on the front.
The size is nearly perfect, with enough "growing room" it should get him through this winter as well... and maybe even next fall??
This was one of my more fun, and challenging projects!  My friend Steph needed a new bag, but had some really specific ideas about what she wanted/needed in order for the bag to function correctly for her.  She purchased the fabric, and I went to work.  The first bag ended up being just a smudge too small... but, she generously allowed me to keep it, and I use it all.the.time. :)  Thankfully, there was enough fabric (well, I had to make different straps for mine...) to make another bag.  This is what I came up with:
It's reversible... and I think she really likes it (I assume this, since she's still using it. *grin*).
Here's another bag I made.  Originally I made it for myself, but then I realized it really fit the personality of my friend Karri, and I gifted it to her. :)  It is also reversible...  Both of these bags were made using my own modifications to this pattern, and this one.
The curtains below were a project that was fairly simple.  After hanging the rod, I made the curtains long enough that they would hang on the floor a bit.  I used my snap press to set snaps along the top to make it easy to remove for washing (which reminds me...! LOL).  I let it hang in place for a few weeks before doing the final hem at the bottom.  The floor is not quite level, and I wanted to make sure the fabric had stretched before deciding on a final length so it wouldn't hang on the floor after it was hemmed.  That was probably the hardest part... I have a really hard time sewing a "crooked" hem on something!!  (Now, if you NEED it straight... haha... I'm talking about doing this on purpose...)  But, it looks great, and gives the kids sleeping area the privacy it needs.

I also made a curtain for the egress window in the basement, but that may have been before the start of the new year... and I'm pretty sure I didn't get pictures.  What started out as a plan for two panels ended up being one panel.  It's lined to filter out more light for better sleeping.  It also has yet to be hemmed... *sigh*
A friend loaned me a Boppy to use after I had Phoenix.  She had mostly girly (read pink) covers, so I recycled a laundry bag my mom made for me (when I was still in high school???) and made a cover that was more "boyish".  It had some fit issues, but works.  I just used the Bobby itself as a pattern.  Next time I might put a bit more effort into getting it right. ;)
Not so much a crafty thing, but an attempt to allow more craftiness... I cleaned my sewing table.  Sadly, it currently looks worse than the first picture.  It never ends, does it?

Victory loves to play "mommy".  I have several varieties of slings for my own babies, and Victory is always having me tie her blankets around her to use in the same fashion.  It never works quite right, and falls off quickly.  I finally made her one to use for her own babies. :)  I used a pattern I found here.
This fabric (along with a  coordinating fabric in red/cream) will become a purse for my mother... someday!  (Maybe I'll have it done by her birthday... in August.  LOL) I'm, again, basing the idea off a pattern I found online, but the end result will be much smaller and more "purse-like".  I also have an idea for the straps that I'm very excited about. :)
I receive a newsletter from Lion Brand Yarn and they often have ideas I'd love to try.  This pattern was called "Bebop Cardi".  I used yarn I already had and made this as a birthday gift for Victory.  Overall, I'm happy with the results.  I did find a few minor issues with the pattern that I would modify if I were to make another one.  But, the recipient was happy, so I'm happy!
finished product on the birthday girl
Earlier this fall a friend of mine delivered quadruplets.  They were MUCH too early (by the time their "due date" arrived in December, they were already 3 months old!!), and we continue to pray for their continued growth.  They are beginning to come home now, and are also able to wear hats and clothing.  I made these hats for them.  I wish the picture was better quality... sadly, this is the only picture I took of the finished project!!  But, it was fun to do something so simple for these precious bundles.
I'm looking forward to another year of craftiness!  I currently have a cowl in the works (not sure if that's a Lion Brand pattern, or if it's from Bernat...).  I also have a plan to work on the disaster that I call a "craft corner".  Perhaps if I can make some sense of the chaos, I can actually complete some already started projects, or even use some of the fabric that I've purchased for a specific purpose and get those projects done! :)

Link to this blog post is included at Sew Many Ways

1 comment:

Steph T said...

When I was doing some Christmas shopping last week, I got even more compliments on my purse than I have gotten all year. It was so crazy!! (Maybe they were all secretly looking for Christmas gifts as they eyed my bag...)