8.25.2010

Finding time

I've looked, but I don't think there's any extra lying around here...  Mostly, I struggle because I'm stuck in one or two rooms of the house all day in order to keep my oldest two on track with their schooling.  I've found if I leave the room for even 5 minutes they get totally off track and unfocused.  *sigh*  This means, I spend a lot of my time in front of the computer.  I'd love to find a useful way to spend that time on the computer, but so far not much has come to me.

One of the things I would love to find time for is sorting through my sewing "stuff", and actually using it!  Thankfully, I have been able to find a few minutes of free time here and there in the last couple of days.  Yesterday, in those bits and pieces of time, I was able to make a pouch sling to use when the baby comes.  It turned out beautifully!  The only issue is, because of my pregnant belly, I can't tell if it's big enough.  LOL  So, I guess we'll find out after he arrives!

My next project (that I also plan to work on in bits and pieces) is making some kind of slipcover for the stools at the dining room table.  The current upholstery -- even on the one I already recovered -- is totally shot because we have little kids that use the stools...  I got some great upholstery fabric (free!) from a friend and it will work great on those stools!  The biggest challenge (I think) will be creating the pattern for the covers.  I plan to make a "prototype" from scrap fabric first so I'm not wasting the good stuff.  Maybe by the end of the week I'll have some "new" chairs! ")

An ongoing project I have (that I can do while sitting in front of the computer) is a crochet hat pattern I'm working on.  I found a cute pattern, but it just wasn't working, so I've modified it greatly and I am about 2/3 done with the first hat.  There are already modifications that will need to be made, but so far, so good!

Lastly, I'm finding time to improving my typing skills by using a typing program (Typing Instructor Platinum) I ordered with our curriculum to help the kids learn keyboarding skills.  Because we are still trying to find our "groove" with the basic 5 subjects in their curriculum, I haven't yet added keyboarding.  However, I'm enjoying the "learning" for myself. ") 

I hope you are able to find time to do some things you love!

3 comments:

Heather said...

I NEED that typing program..as if you didn't already know that with all the emails I send you. (and FWIW I think I had 5 typos in the first sentence!)

Can't wait to see the stools. I may have another piece if you need it.

Smooches!

Katie said...

just an idea, do not underestimate the power of a staple gun. that is how i know others to have redone furniture things:) i am sure they will look awesome, you do great work!!

Kristin said...

Katie, I really need something that I can take off and wash. Otherwise, I would TOTALLY use a staple gun! The one chair I already re-covered almost looks horrible and I just don't want to have to be recovering them every 6 months. ")

Heather, I'll let you know if I need more fabric. ")